Monday, July 22, 2013

Feels like home . . .

This morning we checked out of the hotel in Helsinki and walked with our luggage down cobblestone roads about 5 city blocks to the train station.
I was doing pretty well with my one very large suitcase and smaller carry-on bag.
As soon as we got on the train, which was not as easy as one might think . . . the narrow doors were continually closing on us as we were attempted to haul our luggage over the gap between the sidewalk and train.  Then, we had to carry them up stairs to the second level.  This stairway workout continued as we boarded the bus in Kouluva.  I should have been lifting weights in preparation for this trip, or packed lighter :).

Despite the difficulty lifting the bags up and down stairs, the train ride was wonderful.  We saw many towns and had a chance to see the Finnish countryside.  During this ride, I was thinking of my grandmother and her family that immigrated from Finland.   The more I hear the language, see the people and sights, and taste the food . . . . . more memories of my grandmother and family flood through my mind.  I feel like I'm home -- it's very comfortable and familiar here.


I can see why my family immigrated to northern Michigan.  It is very similar to the countryside here in FInland.

At the bus station, we met with several other people who were here for the world village.  We have teachers here from Hong Kong, Norway, Russia, Great Britain (not England), Australia, Finland (of course) and I know I'm missing a few others.

We are staying in a high school boarding school that was funded to provide an opportunity for children to have an education here in the countryside.  Although it was raining, it's quite lovely here.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of the lake and nature trails this week.

I feel like I'm back in college.  We are staying in dorm rooms, and I'm sharing mine with a teacher from the state of Arkansas.  She is in manages of all the music and art teachers in her school district.  We each have our own room, but are sharing a bathroom.  It's been a long time since I've lived in a dorm room.


I love taking classes and learning new things to bring back to all of you at Village Elementary!  So, I am the student here, hosted by the group of people from Finland below:  (They are speaking English   -- thank goodness)




Well, it's 12:30AM here in Finland and I better try and get some sleep before our 8:00AM breakfast tomorrow.
Goodnight . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment