Sunday, July 21, 2013

 

We arrived in Helsinki, Finland at 8:15AM (that's 1:15AM, for those of you subtracting the 7 hours time difference).  My clothes were a bit wrinkled after sitting and sleeping in them on the plane for over 8 hours.  

We had to go through customs, where security officers from Finland reviewed our passports and questioned us before allowing us to enter their country.  The guard asked questions about where I live, then wanted to know where I was going, and how long I was planning on staying.

After being reviewed by customs, it was time to pick up luggage at baggage claim.  I was very happy to see my luggage come off the conveyor belt.  My daughter Sarah, had her first experience with lost luggage at 3 years of age.  (Don't worry that didn't stop her as she is leading a group of volunteers to build homes in El Salvador this week -- Where would you find El Salvador?  Which continent?)

We found an ATM, so we could get cash in Finnish currency, they do not use American dollars.  Finland currency is the euro.  One U.S. dollar is worth 76 cents in euro.  
Quite pretty, don't you think?
I checked-in to the hotel, dropped off my luggage because my room was not ready. Arrived at the hotel around 10:00AM (What time in New York?  hint . . .subtract 7) and the employees were still cleaning the rooms from the previous guests.  Since I was trying to adjust to the time zone change, we decided it is best to stay up and power
 through the day.
Hotel Kamp

Here are some photos of some of the things we saw today:

Helsinki Cathedral 

The organ pipes inside the cathedral.


 We walked up 40+ stairs to see the inside of this cathedral 3 times -- the first time we couldn't go in because they were having a church services.  The second time we couldn't go in because there was a baptism.  Finally, the third time was a charm!  It must have been just right, because we also were able to hear the organist practicing.  What an incredible sound!
Looking down on the square from the cathedral









Strawberries are still in season, and they are sweet and delicious.





There were some high fashion shoe stores (these shoes were "on sale' for over $300 american dollars).  Can you imagine spending that much money on a pair of shoes?

 Finally, Mr. Palella and I decided to eat at a restaurant set up like an old logging site with traditional Finnish meals.  The best part was the Finnish ice cream. . . a small scoop of vanilla with licorice flavoring, drizzled with berries -- excellent!  (I guess ice cream is always a favorite)

Desert time!


Inside the Savotta Restaurant





Well, it's now 9:00PM (What time in New York?and I better get to sleep or I'll never get up in time for the train adventure tomorrow to begin our music conference .  . . . .









No comments:

Post a Comment