Thursday, July 25, 2013

Hot to Cold -- Berries along the road

More photos for you of the Finnish Sauna . . . . .

The sauna felt extremely hot last night, I must be getting wimpy -- the tips of my ears felt like they were burning and my hair was hot!  I was told I felt warmer this time because I went to sauna later.  I guess that makes sense, the fire had been going for hours.

Here is a photo of where we are staying.  Again, this is a a boarding school for high school students in this area.  It is really lovely.












The outside of the sauna . . .
 It faces the beautiful lake so you can jump in the lake after you are finished.













Inside the sauna.  There are three rooms.  A changing room (no photo) and the room pictured on the left is where you wash off before going into the "hot steam" room.
The colorful buckets are what you dip into the barrels of water and pour on your self.  There is a hot water barrel and a cold water barrel.
I had a little trouble mixing for a comfortable temperature.  Never appreciated how easy it is to adjust the temperature of water coming out of the shower or faucet.


Now you are ready to sit in the "hot steam" room.  The benches are where you sit and there is also a bucket for you to occasionally toss water on the heated rocks to generate more steam.  Just in case you're not hot enough (ha ha).  The washcloth consists of a bunch of branch from the nearby birch tree.

Picking raspberries with Hanna on our walk through the forest.  I started to tell her about picking berries with my daughter and she couldn't believe that we had to pay for berries.  She asked "don't you just go to the woods and pick them?"  I wish we were that fortunate!

No comments:

Post a Comment